ThistleDew Farm

ThistleDew Farm
Established 2009

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Hello

I have not fallen off the earth - just bogged down within it!

The gardening season at ThistleDew is at an end. I've been cleaning beds and preparing for next season (and my hamstrings are killing me). I've also been planning a new location for the garlic bed. They did ok in La Tres Belle but it was so wet (good thing they were in raised beds), I think I can do better higher on the hill. That means building a new bed, which means work! I am pleased with my first crop of garlic and look forward to improvements for next year. The favorite was the hardneck. The cloves are so large but limited to only about 5 to 7 per bulb. The taste was really nice - less sharp than the softneck varieties. I harvested about 100 hardneck and about 60 softnecks. I made 5 garlic braids with the softnecks. I've saved the largest bulbs for seed stock and will be planting them Oct/Nov time frame for a June harvest next spring.

Other than that I've been providing horse riding instruction for my daughter - she hits the show circuit this fall if all goes well. I've also been trying to get motivated in my crocheting....lots of projects and ideas just short on motivation. Still lots of projects around the house and making salsa for Christmas presents. Next year I am definitely planting tomatoes - they are really expensive to buy for the salsa - I could have given gold necklaces cheaper!!!!

Hope you are adjusting to the changing season and getting along just fine!

7 comments:

Lindsay-ann said...

Great to catch up with your news. Sounds like you have been very busy. Welcome back to blogland.
Lindsay
x

Heidi D said...

Glad you're back!

Susie said...

Girl I am so glad to see you back online. I've been wondering what you have been up to.

Anonymous said...

I am delighted to get an update on you and what you've been up to. Your garlic sounds great and I know your salsa will be a treasured Christmas gift. Best wishes to your daughter - I hope you'll share photos of her riding some day. I still treasure my crocheted hat you made me last year. You certainly are talented! Hope you have a nice weekend.

Carol............. said...

Good grief..you sound like me! I ache all over from getting a head start on fall clean up. I'm changing some things around also and am waiting for my son to come over with his backhoe...well,it's rather a large job LOL!

I'll have to check out some info on the hardneck and softneck garlic since I'm not familiar with the difference.

Ahh, new projects...I've started a few but then they go on the back burner because I can hear the garden screaming at me to come outside!

MILLIE said...

I well know the feeling. Seems like ages since I've actually posted anything. Slowly working back into it. Ordered some softneck garlic from Seed Savers yestereday. Sigh ...Theres is lots of clean up to do, so I am not sure when I will really get back to blogging.

Connie said...

Glad to see you posting again. Hope all is well with you! Have a good week! :D