ThistleDew Farm

ThistleDew Farm
Established 2009

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Did you notice the full moon?

On my way to Lowe's yesterday evening I noticed that the moon was almost full. When I need info on the moon I call my mother - she is in touch with her lunar self. She informed me that this is the Warm Moon. And I was inspired to plant an impromptu spring garden. Which brought a recommendation from Ashley aka The Princess, to plant enough to satisfy the Were Rabbit. If you have not watched Wallace and Grommit's Curse of the Were Rabbit you are really missing out!


So, while in Lowe's buying another quart of paint, another two sheets of Hardy Backerboard and yet another box of concrete screws, I picked up a package of carrot seeds, peas and a bundle of sweet onion sets. By the light of the Warm Moon, accompanied by a princess, and being watchful of the Were Rabbit we planted our little raised bed. It was so much fun! We made up stories about what the Were Rabbit liked and what would happen if the crop failed and basic sillyness. We left a few onion sets on the path as a sacrifice to the Were Rabbit, in hopes he would only take his share during harvest time.

If the spring garden takes off like the Garlic Bed has, we'll be rolling in carrots, peas and onions! I was really worried about the success rate of the garlic especially during the January flood when the bed was completely covered and then again about a month ago when we had a really hard freeze. Tennessee just isn't prepared for zero degree weather. But it appears the little garlic are very hardy - glad I bought them in Kentucky.

So, if you haven't been bitten by the Spring Bug yet - go plant something by the light of the Warm Moon! And leave something for the Were Rabbit or you might regret it!

9 comments:

Terri said...

We don't have a were-rabbit around here, we have a were-skunk! :)

Thistledew Farm said...

You have a were-skunk!

Lisa-Maladylis said...

if only, if only, I could find the ground ! But alas, it's still under 2 feet of snow in most places. Hopefully with the warmth this week it will return to us soon. Maybe I will throw out the peas this week, they don't mind cold feet.

Terri said...

I know that it is actually your skunk and that you keep sending him (her?) over here!

Susie said...

Oh I'll have to remember that about were rabbit.

Tami said...

You make me smile!! I so would love to have a garden on my patio this year...have to talk the hubby into it. When we first moved here...gated community mind you....my pots and wicker coffee table got legs and walked away. Could it have been that were-rabit!?

Have a great day!
T

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

The kids have been bugging me about planting seeds! Right now I'm more worried about cutting down trees!

Jami said...

Oh yes, I noticed the full moon. Don't even need a flashlight to go out and check on the lambing ewes! But the guard dog likes to bark all night too during a full moon. Who needs sleep anyway, right?
Jami

Connie said...

I hope your spring garden flourishes! :D