ThistleDew Farm

ThistleDew Farm
Established 2009

Friday, October 10, 2008

Can you answer with just one word?

Last night I started crocheting a skull cap made from Yak. This is my first experience with a Yak and it has been a pleasant one at that. The fiber slips through my fingers with ease and seems smoother than Alpaca. Must be due to the higher oil/grease on a Yak. It is billed as the warmest natural fiber - I guess given the locale's Yak's hang out in, it would need to be warm. Although Yak is very expensive I was drawn to it because of the gorgeous natural rich brown color. I wanted to do the hat in Alpaca but my local store was fresh out of natural Alpaca. Antje at my local shop the Knitting Nest doesn't carry much natural or local fiber....darn! To get local fiber I must visit my sister and go to Fiber and Friends a fab yarn shop in La Grange Kentucky. I usually double up the yarn on hats to make it very thick, however, I am doing this one single skeined because if it is as warm as billed, the wearer might appreciate a little air exchange. I have had a request for a skull cap with ear flaps - yep it's for a nephew! Since I'm only using a single strand I should have enough fiber to do two hats - one with flaps and one without. I'll take a few pictures tonight and post them here on Monday.

Amy, Life in Pink Hi-Tops, tossed down the gauntlet first thing this morning....read to the end to see if you're next! You must answer these questions with only one word! YIKES!

1. Where is your cell phone? hmmm
2. Where is your significant other? roof
3. Your hair color? unnatural
4. Your mother? bubbly
5. Your father? immaterial
6. Your favorite thing? smiling
7. Your dream last night? scary
8. Your dream/goal? vacation
9. The room you're in? office
10. Your hobby? crocheting
11. Your fear? cooking
12. Where do you want to be in 6 years? Paris
13. Where were you last night? bed
14. What you're not? thin
15. One of your wish-list items? tractor
16. Where you grew up? incomplete
17. The last thing you did? read
18. What are you wearing? flamingos
19. Your TV? none
20.Your pet? Buck
21. Your Computer? HP
22. Your mood? Joyous
23. Missing Someone? hubby
24. Your car? Rodeo
25. Something you're not wearing? lipstick
26. Favorite Store? scrapbook
27. Your summer? arid
28. Love someone? you
29. Your favorite color? pink
30. When is the last time you laughed? hourly
31. Last time you cried? September

That was tough! I had to go to the Thesaurus for an alternate for #5 I wanted to put "who cares", #20 is my rescue dog Buck he's the only pet I've really had the others are community property. I really wanted to answer #23 with "my stress free hubby" (building this house in a credit crunch is very taxing). This exercise made me laugh - now it's your turn Lynda from Kilimanjaro, Hidden Haven Homestead (her goats are hilarious and she's a Farm Diva, and Barbara a Daring Baker.

8 comments:

Terri said...

Just Checking in

Terri said...

just checking in

Terri said...

Hey, blog hijacker! :) Great photo - I love it and I think I need a scrub cap (that's what they're called) JUST LIKE IT! Don't you think that would be a hit in the operating room?

Thanks for the sweet post - I'm very lucky to have you as a buddy!

Terri

Thistledew Farm said...

You are very welcome and very deserving....It's apple time and that makes everything look rosey! You should be happy - fall is in the air (sigh).

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

Not so easy trying to answer those questions with just one word is it?
Can't wait to see the hats. I saw somewhere while surfing the net about people knitting with their dog's hair.....

amy @ Life in Pink Hi-Tops said...

I actually tried that cake before--I was glad I had some leftover icing in the fridge....I think the pineapple sounds wonderful!

Thistledew Farm said...

Glad to know it worked - sounds like it was a little dry though if you needed the frosting!

Diary From Africa said...

Thanks so much for including me in this, although I don't usually do tags but thanks for thinking of me anyway ! I am really enjoying your blog and your recipes are great - nice, wholesome, home cooked meals which you know I love to make too ! Your house is lovely and I enjoyed the photo's with the fall colours behind ....